Groups Guides Overview
Groups connect users with relevant people, discussions, announcements, events, and resources. They can be created for schools, campuses, divisions, services, and organizations.
The Groups Guides Overview provides information that is essential to utilizing Groups. It is advised to begin with The Groups Guides Overview before proceeding.
In this article:
Increase Group engagement across the institution with Group Posts.
- Portal Admin and Group Admin should determine Posting frequency and content.
- Portal Admin and Group Admin should consider Pinning Posts.
- Portal Admin and Group Admin should consider posting Polls.
- Portal Admin and Group Admin should consider sharing Group Resources.
- Improved communication
- Greater sense of community
- Enhanced institution support
Consider Post Frequency
Ideally, Post in a Group every day or two. If Group members are highly active, post less, and vice-versa. Pathify recommends posting an important, relevant announcement about once a week. Choose to schedule Posts ahead of time.
In addition to Posting, replying to Group Posts is another way to generate engagement and create a feeling of community.
Post/Comment as a Group
When Posting or Commenting as the Group, Posts and Comments appear to be posted directly from the Group instead of an individual user. It is useful to post as the Group for official announcements and responses to questions. For example, a Group Admin in an Academic Affairs group should post as the Group if announcing an update to the official Academic Calendar.
Schedule Group posts ahead of time. Click the clock icon in the discussion post to schedule posts for specific days/times. Consider scheduling posts a week (or more) ahead of time.
Pinned posts always appear at the top of the discussion in a Group, highlighting important posts. There is no limit to the amount of posts that can be pinned; however, multiple pinned posts may impede Group members access to new posts on the discussion feed, so pin only your most important announcements!
Polls are a great way for Group members to engage in a discussion with one click. Once Group members vote, they are able to see the current poll results.
Share Group Resources
Groups are also a place to share resources with other Group members. In the resources tab, create folders to organize links and files, making them easily discoverable by Group members.
- An institution may create a public “Campus Safety” group and include resources for vehicle registration, emergency response, etc.
- Students may create a private Group for a group project and use the resources tab and discussion feed for online collaboration.
- Add links to guides or sites that serve as a resource for Group members.
File upload size limit is 100MB.
Post "Views" Analytics
Post "views" analytics allow Group Admin to assess how many times a Group Post has been viewed.
It is important note that Posts can be "viewed" multiple times by the same user.
Post "views" analytics are calculated in a few different ways:
- When the entire Group Post is displayed on an individual's screen
- With passive scrolling past a Group Post
- If a Post is displayed while a user refreshes their page
A notification bell does not count toward "view" analytics.